Thursday, December 29, 2011

Welcome to Hydrogen

One of my favorite things to do is write and record music, and right now I am in the process of writing for a new studio album called "Hydrogen." This blog is meant to capture that album as it is in progress, as well as provide an outlet for me to offer comments on a wide range of musical topics.

There is a piece of drum machine software for Linux called Hydrogen. This is where the word first entered into my artistic landscape. Hydrogen seemed to fit as a potential title, especially since I use Linux exclusively for my recording and mixing. One of my goals is to show that it is possible for a person to create really high-quality recordings using entirely open-source software and a minimal amount of equipment. "Hydrogen" is a metaphor for the kind of rugged do-it-yourself approach to audio production. The open-source movement seeks to be as inclusive as possible, and to freely and legally provide to the masses the kind of software that was previously only available to those with money.

My second use of the word Hydrogen came when I wrote a poem one day, and the first line was "Imagine all the Hydrogen of the universe, and this is the abundance I seek within." For me, Hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe, is a metaphor for spirituality, and the incomprehensible enormity of the universe. This is a theme I have touched on in earlier recordings, and will no doubt return to.

Finally, Hydrogen being as tiny as it is, is inside all of us, and "the abundance I seek within" is about trying to live life as a confident and fulfilled person, while at the same time acknowledging and accepting one's own sense of powerlessness.

So welcome aboard. Streaming mp3 samples will be on the way soon!



(special thanks to Edie Hanson for giving me her old laptop and helping me set it up, as well as to Andrew Riker for helping me become familiar with the Linux platform and installing additional software)

No comments:

Post a Comment